fot

RE: Weber cold air induction

To: "MARK J WEATHERS" <markjwea@email.msn.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Weber cold air induction
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:39:31 -0700
Mark,

You are correct, there is not a lot of space between the carb faces and the
inner fender.  Currently, I am running a fabricated aluminum airbox with a
remote K&N filter (see
http://thor.prohosting.com/~tr6/tr6/tr-6_8.html )
As for alternatives, I am currently working on the design of a
fiberglass/carbon fiber airbox. That is not as esoteric as it sounds.
Basically, you carve a mold out of styrofoam, lay the fiberglass/carbon
fiber cloth over it with resin, and when you are finished, you dissolve the
styrofoam mold with solvent. Vacuum formed plastic sounds good, but I would
wonder about its resistance to the heat (since it will be in the engine
compartment and above the header/exhaust manifold).  As for the "Y" duct, I
looked in all my usual catalogues (Aircraft Spruce, Stock Car Products,
Behrents, Irv Hoerr Racing, etc) but could not find anything.  I remembered
that my Dad's E-type racer has a "y" to the rear inboard disk brakes, so I
called him and asked him where he got them.  He said he could not find them
commercially, so he fabricated them himself out of aluminum.

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6