fot

RE: Barking Heads

To: "'Richard Taylor'" <tarch@bellsouth.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Barking Heads
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:26:16 -0700
Drilled them with a 5/8 bit!!! Wow.

The bronze doesn't have a memory--at least not any better than mine, but
it does get permanently distorted because the heating is so varied along
it's length.

There's a good chance your guides were too tight to begin with--it's
worthwhile to run the correct size ream through them before assembly (not
a 5/8 drill bit). It's amazing how few shops do this--they bang them in
and call it good. Overheating can tweak the guides too, of course. We
could go on and on about guides--it's amazing that they work at all. I've
tried a zillion things, particularly with a Matchless G80CS that I own
that loves to stick the exhaust guide. The most recent iteration is steel,
with a bronze insert that looks like a helicoil. I think Kas recommends
these. I got mine three years ago from a 90 year old machinist who kicked
the bucket before I could find out where he got them. So far so good. I'd
like to install these in Triumph motors, but can't find any.