fot

RE: Quaiffe for TR6

To: "'SHANE Ingate '" <hottr6@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Quaiffe for TR6
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 08:50:27 -0800
As I believe Uncle Jack pointed out, this is a topic that has recycled
several times, but it's still good to see since it updates with recent
experience and it reminded me that I need to do some work to peyote to gain
clearance for a much bigger finned aluminum diff cover this year.

Peyote came with a Quaife, my cheater TR3 had an open diff, and then a
locker, and now Peyote has a salisbury. there's a welded diff in a box in my
trailer in case of Salisbury malfunction, but I've never used it.

A quaife is marginally better than an open diff--you can corner harder with
it and it will bias the toque--as a wheel starts to lose grip it won't
exacerbate the problem like an open diff will, but once the wheel loses grip
all the drive is gone and the car understeers. On the plus side you learn to
open your steering and be smooth in corners, on the negative side, it's
frustrating to lose drive just when you need it to tuck inside someone.

The Detroit locker is great once you get use to the sudden lock. You stay on
the pedal and throttle steer. Effective, but a little hard to get used to.
And it seems like it's got to be hard on the car, though I never found
evidence of that.

The Salisbury is wonderful but the oil gets hot. I like Greg's solution, but
I also like the modulation and smoothness I feel the way mine is currently
set up. It doesn't get so hot that it's destroying the oil--no
discoloration, temp on the diff cover is not blistering paint or even too
hot to touch after a hard session. That means it's not losing too much power
since the only place for that power to go is into heat.

The salisbury diffs are not cheap, but well worth it. Mine is good for at
least a second or two at all the track I run. Maybe more--it's hard to say
where the changes come from.