fot

Re: Axle bits

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Axle bits
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:11:03 -0600
These are indeed the Mark Weathers units.  Uncle jack just left for a week
and a half, so probably won't answer until his return.  I'm sure he'll have
info on how to order these.

I just installed the set - my car was one of the guinea pigs for the wheel
bearing spacer concept.  I've got to echo Bill's comments.  I could see
evidence of stub axle flex in the tapered bore on the ones removed.  The
new ones are much better steel, have the large diameter carried as far into
the hub as possible without changing bearings, and have much larger
diameter threaded surfaces with rolled (rather than cut) threads.  Even the
nuts are far better than stock (very high strength).  The wheel bearing
spacers are works of art.  I can't wait to see how much difference this
makes in the brake pad knockback!

At the last race at Road America, I found that one of the stock castellated
nuts had stripped and the cotter pin was the only thing holding my front
wheel in place. (!)  These front axles and fasteners will prevent a
recurrence of that, for sure.

- Tony Drews