fot

RE: Axle bits

To: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Axle bits
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:47:07 -0800
Exactly what I'm talking about. My axles showed fretting in the bearing
areas indicating (probably) that despite frequent checking of the bearing
preload, that the bearings (especially the inboard one) were moving
side-to-side on the axle. My right axle had what looks like a wear line or
some kind of scoring on the bottom outside edge of the inboard bearing,
right where the taper starts. Sent a little chill up my spine looking at it.
I'd maganaflux it, but I really don't want to know.

Frankly I've never spent that much time looking at these parts--the wheels
turn, must be OK. Other than checking and replacing or greasing the
bearings, they didn't get any attention. Even if you're not ready to run out
and replace them, you should give them a good looking over. I'm taking apart
the cheater this weekend to see how it is. I'll almost certainly replace
these too while I'm thinking about it, even though the car is sitting on
jack stands with no running gear.