fot

Re: Chevy 5.3 Litre Powered Tow Vehicle

To: John Herrera <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>, FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chevy 5.3 Litre Powered Tow Vehicle
From: EDWARD BARNARD <edwardbarnard@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:02:25 -0800 (PST)
John: Amongest my many jobs I service a fleet of trucks consisting of about
fifteen assorted trucks and numerous cars. They range from 1999 models all the
way to brand new, and have engines from 4.3litre V6's to 7.3 litre turbo
diesels. The 350cid (5.7 litre) is the old standdby small block chevy that we
are all so fond of having been everything from a 283 cid up to the SB 400 cid.
It was replaced in 2000 by the 6.0 litre V8, a completely different engine,
sharing only the number of cylinders with the 5.7 litre. Just as the 5.7 litre
had smaller brothers, so does the 6.0 litre. The 5.3 litre is just that. It
shares nothing with the old small block, and has it's roots in the 6.0 litre.
It is a wonderfully strong motor for it's displacement, and I see these guys
abuse their trucks in ways that makes me cringe. It doesn't seem to have some
of the issues that the 6.0 litre has, ie. noisey on start up (caused by piston
slap until the pistons expand from heat), and weak PCV valves which
 cause excessive oil consumption. The later is fixed by using after market PCV
valves, and the former you just get use to. The 5.3 litre will get decent
milelage, and probably tow 95% of what you'll ever need. With gas prices on the
rise get the 5.3 litre with the towing package and put the extra money in your
pocket. Thanks - Ed

John Herrera <jrherrera90@hotmail.com> wrote:Amici:

Does anyone have any comments on the Chevy 5.3 litre V-8 and its suitability
as a tow vehicle engine?

A while ago I picked FoT's brain about the towing problem poor Dale, my 5.0
litre (305 c.i.d.) powered Chevy truck, has. The consensus was that I should
look into replacing the worn-out engine with a 5.7 (350 c.i.d.) litre
engine.

I just discussed this with my truck mechanic, who knows Dale very well. Even
though he stands to make some cash on the swap, he suggested that I look
into buying another truck! And that it should have the towing package and a
5.7 litre.

I just looked at a 2000 and it has a 5.3 litre Vortec V-8. Did this replace
the 5.7, and is it suitable for towing?

There are some steep hills between here and VIR!

Thanks,
John Herrera