fot

RE: FW: Crankshafts

To: Fubog1@aol.com, tstrange@sbcglobal.net, sbarr@mccarty-law.com,
Subject: RE: FW: Crankshafts
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:26:54 -0700
Scott, you're right about the speed being highest when the crankpin is at 90
and 270 degrees. Piston speed is momentarily zero at top and BDC. It's one
of those things that's kind of fun to graph out. Or you can just dig out a
copy of Ricardo and find it all there, figured out in detail at the turn of
the century. Connecting rod length is one of the big factors in determining
the max and min values of acceleration. A short rod is most like being
connected right to the crank. I seem to remember that speed is a sine curve
and acceleration is a cosine, but I really don't remember this stuff, but
I'll pull out my ancient copy of Ricardo tonight and refresh my memory.