fot

Re: Crankshafts

To: charly@mitchelplumbing.com, jprice1@txcyber.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crankshafts
From: Fubog1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 11:42:37 EDT
Charly you're thinking along the right lines.... engine balancing is very
complex especially for my simple mind... but....anything you can do to reduce
reciprocating weight and/or stroke will result in much less bending loads on
shaft & by nature of doing so will also reduce couple effect. Highest load on
recip assy is on upstroke. You can tell that by actually measuring piston
travel
vs crank rotation. It's pretty lazy up to about 90 degrees up the bore, then
really speeds up. Well what speeds up must also slow down, the rest is pretty
easy to figure. Also, on the exhaust stroke, the piston isn't dampened by
combustion so it really wants to keep going up. My reasoning is to reduce the
load
because the load is going to be there, no matter what the shaft is made of or
how you strap the shaft in..
Hope this helps!
Safety FasTR,
Glen