fot

RE: bearing width

To: "'Jack W. Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>,
Subject: RE: bearing width
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:13:57 -0700
It can't be the journal diameter that makes the Triumph rods expensive, it's
got to be the width. They are not particularly large diameter bearings,
they're just very wide.

There's a lot of ways to fit a narrower rod, including aluminum or steel
spacers. They could be split and screwed or they could be wound on. They
don't need to be much or they can be done away with completely since the rod
can be located by the piston with thrust washers on the gudgeon pin rather
than by the edges of the crank journal--that's a better way anyway. Many
high rpm motors use that approach.

The biggest problem in all of this is that someone has to be the guinea pig.
Any solution tends to surface at least two new problems