fot

Re: bearing width

To: Greg Solow <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Subject: Re: bearing width
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:48:41 -0500
I question how much additional oil flow will occur due to the side
clearance.  We have viscous (laminar) flow from the center out to the
edge.  The flow is proportional to the fourth power of the clearance and
inversely proportional to the flow length.  The bearing clearance is
much smaller than the side clearance and the flow length along the
bearing is much longer than along the side.  The clearance space between
the bearing and the journal should give the dominate resistance to flow.