fot

RE: The Loooong Race (was cooling system)

To: <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: The Loooong Race (was cooling system)
From: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@mccarty-law.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:44:24 -0500
<<  Do you know how satisfying it is to pass a split window Corvette in a
    lowly Triumph TR4?  >>

Yes, I do.  Or in a lowly Spitfire, anyway  :-)  That was a hoot!

This was the first weekend in which my car ran well, er, at all I
guess, since we finished building it last fall.  We've been fighting
with head gaskets and whatnot all year.  We finally went back to the
just plain old stock head (minus .100 thickness to boost the
compression from the standard 7.5:1 ratio) so that we could just use a
stock head gasket.  And, Voila!!  the first completed session without
overheating and stuck valves to show for it!

Even with less power, though, the car was working very well indeed.
In the two afternoon races, I had a great time chasing around with the
slower of the two P1800s, turning in a 1:30.5 in the second race.  In
the first race, I got ahead of him dive-bombing him down into turn 1.
In the second race, well, his car got just a little wider and we had a
great time running around with the Spitfire nailed to his bumper all
the way around the twisty side of the track, only to watch him pull
away on the 6-7 and 7-1 straights.  Had a blast.

It was great to see all the FOTs there and I look forward to seeing
all of you in the spring!

Scott