fot

RE: 50 series tires

To: "'alfetta95@optonline.net'" <alfetta95@optonline.net>, fot@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: 50 series tires
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:21:03 -0700
I like a hoop under the cowling tied to a rear hoop with side bars, and the
support bars for the rear hoop connecting to the end of the rear spring
mount. I also added a short pipe and flange from the cowl hoop to the
firewall on each side, creating a hard point. To that hard point I could
bolt in bars on each side that connect to the upper shock tower, bracing the
entire frame from front suspension to rear. If a sanctioning body gets
sideways you can unbolt the bars, but none ever did.

This is a very safe cage design and it stiffens the frame wonderfully. TR3
frames are as wobbly as noodles otherwise. Did you edge weld the frame? You
can do that without adding an ounce--just fuse the edges of the stampings
with an acetylene torch. Makes the frame quite a bit stiffer, the spot welds
permit some flex.