fot

RE: converting a tr2 to disks?

To: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>, Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>,
Subject: RE: converting a tr2 to disks?
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:17:06 -0800
It's certainly true--fast corners are harder to accelerate from. The best
way to win races is to go through them very fast and use up every last bit
of the track. There are trade offs in slowing more than you absolutely need
to. The car is unbalanced, you are accelerating before the apex, etc., etc..
Mid corner speed is the final frontier. When I go to a new track I don't
worry about the fiddly slow corners until I've gotten all I can from the
fast ones. "All I can" simply means I turn in at the right time, hit the
apex within a few inches, nearly run out of track after the exit and don't
have any remaining room to maneuver. If you can tighten up your turn in the
middle of a corner you're not going as fast as you could.

I'm not recommending that for folks that want to have a relaxing vintage
race, but it's the only way to squeeze real time out of a track.

And yes, your brakes last a LOT longer because it's slowing for the fast
corners that really eats them up. Lots of HP to burn off. I've been
disciplining myself in the two tracks that I race the most to not downshift
or brake at all for the two fastest corners. Before I started this personal
crusade I was braking hard and downshifting. Now I lift a little and get
gently back in to balance the car through the turn. I can just make it. Of
course that means if someone drops a little oil in my way I'm not going to
complete the turn...

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins