fot

Re: Compressor/Portable Air Tank life?

To: fot@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Compressor/Portable Air Tank life?
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:42:32 EST
In a message dated 12/30/2004 9:02:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:

FWIW, the tank on my ~15 year old Sanborn compressor has a smallish  leak.
I've
kept it well drained over the years, even put on a ball  valve that I can
easily
operate with my toe so I wouldn't be tempted to not  drain it.  However, it
appears that the original wheels & stand  don't give the tank enough slope to
drain completely when sitting on a level  floor ... the leak will sometimes
blow
water even when the drain won't.   No doubt the water sitting over the years
is
why it leaks  now.

I had a somewhat similar situation years ago with an old Sears compressor
that didn't drain all that well without some, er, "releveling"! The tank
finally
 did spring a very tiny leak, but it was due to poor welding or brazing on
one of  the legs. A neighbor brazed it up for me in exchange for letting him
borrow the  compressor for a few days. Never had a problem again...right up to
the day it  was stolen.... :-(

--Andy Mace