fot

Re: Compressor/Portable Air Tank life?

To: "FOT" <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Compressor/Portable Air Tank life?
From: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:05:12 -0500
Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com> wrote:
> CYA, pure and simple. Product liability is a bitch. What's really
> interesting these days is all the stuff that comes from China that has
> little or no liability warnings. The importer/distributors either add
their
> own, or consider their companies "disposable".
>
> Sears isn't in that category. I must admit though, that every so often
when
> I walk by my huge air compressor with it's tank pressure at 175 psi, I
give
> it a nervous glance. My overactive imagination has no problem conjuring
what
> that would be like converted to kinetic energy and shrapnel.

I agree....but it is interesting that they put a "lifespan" on this portable
air tank
now and there's no mention of the hundreds of thousands of units
already sold that have no similar warnings.  Think also about the pipe
systems that are used in many garages (both commercial and home)
for distribution of compressed air....no warnings on the life of those
that I've seen.

I wonder too if the tanks that come with air compressor units are now
being sold with the same warnings?

Someone else mentioned a lawsuit out west....any details?

In the final analysis, I tend to agree with Andy Mace that even if rusted,
the most likly scenario is a leak, not any explosion.

Cheers,
Bill Sohl