fot

RE: alloy head, for 6 cylinder

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: alloy head, for 6 cylinder
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 19:13:51 -0700
 I did most of my cheating on motorcycles. For the longest time the standard
way to check the displacement of a two stroke bike--either road racing or
dirt--was to simply pull the head (usually four bolts) and measure the bore.
the standard cheat was a bigger piston. No one ever checked stroke because
it was too hard to change, and when you changed it you also changed the port
timing and probably went backwards on power. Unless you were truely looney
and were willing to do an incredible amount of work. I was both.

I never got caught, or even close, but the tech guys started getting
serious, so I took other approaches. Computer designed expansion chambers
(on punch cards, in Fortran, with an IBM 1620), three stage reed valves,
ceramic coated pistons, etc. But a lot of the 125 motocross bikes I built
were at least 175 CC, and the 50 CC road racer I built for a lovely young
lady racer was 80 CC. funny thing is that the guys all put her obvious power
advantage down to her weight (shades of Danica Patrick) About two years
later she entered puberty chest first and did away with any weight advantage
by raising her center of gravity to an astonishing degree.