fot

RE: TR3 Radiators / Thermostat Housing Rad Cap

To: "'Tony Drews '" <tony@tonydrews.com>,
Subject: RE: TR3 Radiators / Thermostat Housing Rad Cap
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:00:05 -0700
 Centrifugal pumps are never "self-priming" in fact they need a net positive
suction head (NPSH) in order to operate. In other words, they don't suck. We
get away with using them inappropriately in a closed system because the
operating pump supplies it's own suction head. If you have a suction-side
surge tank that's higher than the pump then you are assured of always having
a priming head for the pump as long as the tank has water in it, so a fully
bled system is not quite so critical. Without it, if you get enough air into
the pump to make it stop pumping, it may not restart until the temperature
rises enough to force water into the pump chamber. Which could be shortly
after #4 cylinder sticks it's rings.

As a former nuke, I know just enough about surface boiling and pumps to be
amazed that these engines work at all. They need all the help they can get.