fot

Re: securing thrust washers

To: Gt6steve@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: securing thrust washers
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:11:33 -0400
Steve Smith wrote:

>I'm imagining I'd use brass flathead screws in probably 6-32
>thread????????  Anybody have any suggestions or comments on how they did
>it?  I've read for years these need to be "silver-pinned" but I've no clue
>what that is?

Hey Steve,

Never though I'd be offering you my $0.02, but at the risk of being shot
down, here goes.

Maybe I am interpreting your question (and the response from other FOTers)
completely
wrong, but I would not pin the washers in this fashion.  The way I see it,
pinning can lead
to a false sense of security, and if not checked regularly and accurately,
then what happens
when the washer does wear enough to expose the screw/pin?  It will grind its
way into the
crank and you wind up with a shot crank.

Kas outlines a good procedure in his latest book, by spot-welding the tangs
of Toyota
thrust washers.  This solution does not expose the crank to anything that
will bury its way
in.

Shane Ingate, possibly full of it, in Maryland