fot

RE: decking a tractor engine block

To: "'MDunst / Gasket Works USA'" <gasket.works@gte.net>,
Subject: RE: decking a tractor engine block
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:32:04 -0700
I'd consider decking the block a last resort for a really screwed up block.
If you just have minor dings I'd try almost anything else first, including a
little light file work and a swipe of JB weld. All the block is sealing is
water and oil--no hot gases. That all happens on the top of the liner. You
just don't need that great surface finish. Really important with more modern
engines, but not a big deal on wet sleeve motors.

I know this isn't a racing motor, but once you've done this mod you give up
the ability to quickly repair a stuck piston or any other problem with
piston, rings and liner. I really REALLY like the fact that it's possible to
rebuild these engines without machining just by replacing liner/piston/ring
sets. I've done it in the paddock, twice. And saved a weekend of racing.