fot

Nitriding and Crankshaft Durability

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Nitriding and Crankshaft Durability
From: Larry Young <larry.young@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:53:36 -0500
I've got a couple questions for our resident metallurgists.  Of course,
nitriding hardens the bearings surfaces and reduces wear.  But, will it
make the crankshaft less likely to crack?  Is there more than one method
of nitriding and what are the differences?  I have been using a shop
that nitrides at around 900 degrees, so they must go through a stress
relieve and straighten process before grinding.  I understand there are
lower temperature processes that do not require stress relieving.  Are
the results comparable?
Thanks,
Larry Young