fot

Re: Nitriding and Crankshaft Durability

To: john@race-dogs.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nitriding and Crankshaft Durability
From: "spitfiresuz@141.com" <spitfiresuz@141.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:16:46 -0400
It looks like different cryo treaters may do or understand their processes
differently.  From what I understand, cryo does NOT treat only the surface
of the metal -- it strengthens the bonds in the entire piece -- whereas
other treatments only affect the surface.  Cryo treatment transforms the
austenite in steel (softer & bigger) into martensite (smaller & harder) and
creates more smaller carbide particles throughout the steel.  You are
actually changing the microstructure of the material.  It also
stress-relieves most ferrous and non-ferrous materials.

Here is an informative article about the process:
http://www.engineeringtalk.com/news/cge/cge100.html

And here is a neat Web site with before and after microphotographs:
http://www.cryogenicsinternational.com/

I hope this helps!
Susan      :)