fot

Hallett camping and other information

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hallett camping and other information
From: Susan Kahler <spitfiresuz@141.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:33:27 -0600
== fot at autox.team.net supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
==    http://fatchancegarage.com

Hi everyone!

Just some info about Hallett and camping/RVing there.  Hallett has some
great land for tent camping, if you are so inclined.  The track is one
of the more technical tracks in North America, and part of that comes
from the elevation changes.  That makes for a fun and challenging race
experience, and also for camping!  There are quite a few nice areas you
can pitch a tent and enjoy the action around the race course.  I believe
tent camping is free, but using electricity costs $20 -- for the event,
I think.  It used to be much more expensive, and got to where they were
charging per person per RV per night.  THAT drove the business away, let
me tell you!  They are much more camper-friendly now.

Showers are available, both near the covered garage area (one each in
the men's and women's restrooms, I believe) and in the main building,
and there has been no charge to use them.  They have a grill on the
first floor of the main building that provides a mean breakfast, and
several choices for lunch and dinner.  There are also some reasonable
restaurants within a 15-mile area, although not in the Zagat ratings.

Covered garages (carports) are available, but go quickly -- I *think*
they were $100 or $150 an event, but we have been able to easily fit 4
to 6 (albeit small) cars in one of them.  They are on asphalt, so that
makes repair or other work nice.

Views around most of the track can be had from bleachers at several
different locations, although the front straight cannot be seen from the
rest of the track and vice versa.  The bleachers at The Bitch (over-hill
blind right corner) are a great place to see some action.

In the past we have parked the RV directly across from the garage area
with our Spit in it, and the access is good to any part of the track.
One issue (which is not really a problem if you plan for it) is that to
get into or out of the track you have to go right across the track (no
bridge or tunnel), so there may be a wait to get in or out.  They let
traffic through in between heats/races.  Parking is on hardpan grassy
areas, not asphalt parking lots, although there are asphalt (main) and
gravel (lesser) roads that run around the property.  There is lots of RV
parking, although access to electricity may be limited to certain areas,
and latecomers may have to go farther afield to find a parking spot.
They did not have a dump station the last time we were there.

Race fuel is available on-site, and they make announcements as to when
the pumps are open.  I believe they take credit cards (run an account, I
think).  They also have a nice gift shop on the first floor of the main
building.

The Stephens are even so accommodating as to provide a wake-up call for
you if you stay at the track.  It is called The Chicken Song, and if you
have not been there at 7 am on race weekends, I will let you experience
the joyfulness of this for yourself when you come instead of trying to
put words to it.  You can't have a bad day after you have been awakened
by the chicken song.   ;)

This is not a Mid-Ohio or a VIR, but it IS a quality track run by people
who care about racing.  Some of my most enjoyable times have been at
Hallett, and the overall atmosphere and fun rating of the events there
is sky-high.   And Tulsa is half an hour away, for those spouses and/or
family members who may not be so interested in racing all weekend and
may have a desire to go shopping or do other activities.

Come on down!!!  If you have any questions, I will certainly try to
answer them for you.

Keep Triumphing!
Susan      :)
#42 FP Spitfire "Tristan"