fot

RE: Car Classification -.... and RULES

To: "'William G Rosenbach'" <wgrosenbach@juno.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Car Classification -.... and RULES
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:32:51 -0800
"...That said, is it still every ones consensus that an engine originally
fitted with a pair of 1.125" SUs will not have any performance advantage if
fitted with a single 45 DCOE choked to 38MM ?..."

Ok, I guess I'll stick my toe in the deep end of the pool....

IMHO, In the case of the DCOE webered engine w/38mm chokes, the rest of the
engine would have to be tuned for the flow that would result - which might
not be possible depending on the original design of the cylinder head.  Just
sticking a big carb on the engine will not neccesarily make it "better".  If
you wanted to make a comparo between the single Weber and the dual 1.125
SU's, you should limit the weber chokes to perhaps 28mm and then make a
power comparison.

In my own case, my TR6 has triple Weber DCOEs.  I have 27mm chokes in them
that are about the same size as the venturis on the PI TR6.  I know that
some clubs won't let me race it that way, but in my mind, I'm not using the
Webers as a performance advantage, I'm using them because they are easier to
obtain (parts-wise) and work with than the Lucas PI system (that would be
"legal")

Hugh