fot

RE: Car Classification -.... and RULES

To: "'Susan Kahler '" <spitfiresuz@141.com>,
Subject: RE: Car Classification -.... and RULES
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 11:25:03 -0800
"and when he pulled it we saw he had one
of the most beautiful sets of roller rockers I had ever seen on it
(which CVAR does not allow)."

So here's the part about rules that kind of bug me. What kind of horsepower
advantage do you figure roller rockers are worth? I figure it's about zero.
Safety mods aside, there are two kinds of engine modifications--those that
will clearly increase horsepower and those that will make a racing engine
last longer or be easier to maintain.

Webers and roller rockers are probably both in the later group. Most
people--Kas included--say that there is no horsepower advantage between
Webers and SUs. But SUs require frequent fiddling and getting them tuned
properly is a black art. One I'd just as soon not master. Webers are easy
and can be precisely tuned. Still, WFO is always Wide F***** Open, and
there's nothing inside an SU that significantly blocks flow.

Likewise, my only reason for lusting after rollers is that if set up
properly they won't hose my guides and they have needle bearings instead of
bushings. A roller CAM is very different--you can do things with them that
will make mucho horsepower. Flat lifters are very limiting. I have a roller
rocker setup, but I haven't installed it because one of the three
sanctioning bodies I run with won't permit them. I'm considering having
non-rolling noses made up so I can use these better parts, but I don't
expect horsepower gains. Just fewer broken rocker shafts and seized rockers.

Likewise the "wazoo" ignition systems. I know their manufacturers claim all
kinds of stuff but IT'S JUST A SPARK. Once the gasses are ignited the magic
show is over. All I ever looked for there was precision in when that spark
happened and better reliability. As you all might recall I've given up on
all that and gone back to battery-point-coil albiet with a mallory dual
point because electronics really don't like lower voltages and I never saw
any advantage except for a stable spark.

Modern isn't webers and distributor triggered ignitiion systems--no matter
how wazoo they might be. Modern is engine managment systems, injection, and
crank triggers, variable valve timing and heads that actually were designed
to flow.

As long as we have that cast iron lump and that cast iron head, we're
vintage. That's where the real limitation is--well, that and tires.