fot

Re: [FOT] Re: Front Spindles

To: lang@isis.mit.edu, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] Re: Front Spindles
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 23:53:45 EST
In a message dated 3/8/06 11:50:30 AM Pacific Standard Time,
lang@isis.mit.edu writes:

<< If you've tried to separate a stock axle stub (aka spindle) from the
 upright with significant force (say a 30-tonne press) and the parts do not
 seperate - does that indicate that the parts are junk? Or does it mean
 that more "persistence" is needed, say a 50-tonne press?

I broke a right front spindle once on the back straight of Nelson Ledges.
Fortunately, I managed to steer into the infield and came to a stop after
plowing up earth for about 100 yards.  The right front caliper and brake hose
were
also ruined.  Scott Harper drove the needed parts out to the track for me.

The next problem was to get the broken spindle off of the car.  After I
struggled with it for some time, this sizable guy shows up with an average size
hammer with Teflon ends.  He taps it right and left, up and down, and then on
the
broken end.  Much to my surprise, the broken spindle fell right out onto the
ground.

I have also removed spindles from the car by using some heat, and gradually
increased the force of the hammer blows until the spindle comes out.