fot

[FOT] F1 tomorrow??

To: <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] F1 tomorrow??
From: "jrhill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 21:07:28 -0500
Rocky Entriken writes:

> (post-race) -- I wouldn't have thought of Ralph Sheheen
> and Derek Daly as amateurs, but Sheheen kept referring
> to "grand prixs" (the plural of that French phrase is grands
> prix) and Daly did nothing to enlighten him.

True -- for traditionalist Europeans, longtime F1 fans and dedicated Road &
Track readers, the plural is indeed "Grands Prix". For the rest of the world
. . . not so much. I never did understand why the plural of "Great Prize"
would be "Greats Prize", but then again I never took French.

Wasn't it the folks at R&T who attempted to Americanize the term to "Great
Prize" racing? I suspect that the prospect of having to say "Greats Prize"
is what killed the effort.

Jim Hill