fot

Re: [FOT] Thoughts on a TR tow vehicle

To: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] Thoughts on a TR tow vehicle
From: jimdonick <whimsey1@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 08:25:14 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
When I started racing the Allard K2 over twenty years ago my first tow vehicle
was a Chevy Caprice Classic Wagon with the small block V8.   It worked great
for a number of years.   The trailer was an open two axle with electric brakes
on one axle.  (we upgraded to both fifteen years later when it became mandatory
- good move for peace of mind)  Empty, the trailer weighed 1400 pounds and the
Allard K2 was/is about 2700.   We towed from New York to Road Atlanta, to
Mosport, Pittsburgh, and all over.   It was very happy at sixty plus miles per
hour.  The key, I believe, was a weight distributing hitch and the twin axles
on the trailer.   The trailer towed beautifully.  Those two axles impart a lot
of yaw stability.  The Weight Distributing Hitch mitigates some tongue weight
by transferring it to the front wheels.    We'd load the wagon up with camping
gear, tools, coolers, a wife, and two kids.  Anything that didn't fit inside
rode in the race car.  (No, DON'T GO THERE!) The co!
 mplete rig would still be sitting level due to the adjustability of the hitch.
   My father in law used to tow a closed Wells Cargo with a Buick Riviera and
the big engine.  Again, he used a weight distributing hitch.

I'd guess you could tow an open Trailer and a TR-X (3, 4, 250/5, 6, 7, or 8)
cross country without a problem.  The country Squire is rear wheel drive.
Heck, our parents' generation would have towed an Airstream Camper behind it to
the Grand Canyon with everything inside the Airstrean INCLUDING the kithchen
sink.

Good luck.

jimdonick