fot

RE: [FOT] rocker stud breakage

To: "'SHANE Ingate'" <hottr6@hotmail.com>, vinttr4@geneseo.net
Subject: RE: [FOT] rocker stud breakage
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:32:01 -0700
I assume you really mean you had ARP studs not just grade 8. If not, as
Shane says, get them. A lot of the "grade 8" hardware out there is cheap
counterfeit stuff to start with.

I'd suspect something that's causing side load on the studs, like
insufficient torque, or something holding the bottom of the rocker towers
off the head. You said you have the overhumg towers--they can interfere with
the head studs and bolts. Make sure you have plenty of clearance under the
overhang. If they are touching the head studs they will put a nasty load on
both the tower studs and the rocker shaft. If it turns out that's the
problem, once you correct it, replace the shaft as well.