fot

Re: [FOT] Triumph frames

To: henry@henryfrye.com, 356drb@indy.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] Triumph frames
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:55:14 EDT
In a message dated 09/19/2006 2:29:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
henry@henryfrye.com writes:

> Has anybody ever  seen a TR2-3-4 that actually NEEDED a new frame? I have
> seen some very rusted TR3's and 4's with decent frames, while I have seen
>very
> nice IRS cars with frames that looked like swiss cheese.
>
> Obviously, crash damage might necessitate a new frame, but tooling up for
> the TR2-3-4 frames seems foolish...

Henry:

Can't really agree with that.  Except for a short period (three or four
months), Ole Blue has been a race car all it's life.  As such, it was put away
out
of season, and never saw things like snow, etc.  Regardless, two or three
years ago, screaming into Turn ONE at BLACKHAWK (90 mph +/-) the right front
wheel
broke off (upper wishbone broke off).  Luckily the car 'dragged' around the
right hand turn, scrubbing off speed, and coming to a safe stop at the exit to
the turn.  Blackhawk is but an hour from my home, so we left the track and
went for parts.  When we got back and went to reinstall it, we discovered
stress
cracks in the frame you could see through.

Ole Blue got parked until we could replace the frame, which I did.  Race car
frames don't last forever.

Bill Dentinger