fot

Re: [Fot] water in the oil

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] water in the oil
From: <triumph_marx@freenet.de>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 14:55:03 +0100
Besides a crack in the stud area ( have a look at the stud hole in the block
next to the oil supply to the head) of the block maybe it comes from the liner
foot. A snippet what I have written to a froum a week ago:

"I found corrosion at the fig. 8 gasket on several engines, in one case the
gasket failed from corrosion and water went through into the sump.

>From my point of view the most important thing to do is to prevent the gasket
from getting wet so the gasket is only a spacer and not a gasket anymore.

To avoid the fig. 8 gasket from getting wet I use a thick layer of silicone on
both sides of the gasket, apply silicone on the sleeve and the block seat.
Then I fit it wet in wet together and compress it with screwing on the head
and torgue it up to 90 Nm.
The silicone is squeezing out and does seal the whole liner bottom area.

Never failed 'till now.

Chris "