fot

Re: [Fot] water in the oil

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] water in the oil
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:04:56 -0500

If you are going to go the steel shim gasket route, it is very important
you have NO deviation between the jugs. Two to five thou is a huge
deviation, it is the extremes of either side of the spec!

Glen is spot on, if you are going with the steel gasket use less
protrusion. I go 2.5 to 3 thou. Stock composite gaskets like more
protrusion, and are much more forgiving if you liners are not dead nuts
on. But if you modified your head unshrouding the intake valves take a
good look at how the stock gasket fits up against your head. You will
not like what you see.

It is common to get cracks in the block at the head stud threads. I have
had success using RTV on the threads on the bottom of the studs.

Figure 8's are not rocket science. The flange in the block the figure 8
sits on must be free of all scale and perfect, it's mating surface on
the liner must be completely clean. I use the figure 8's that come in
the Payen gasket kits, the silver ones. They are .014 thick. I apply the
absolute minimum amount of blue RTV I can to the gaskets, just enough to
help the seal. Any more will effect the protrusion you worked so hard to
get dead nuts on.

Once the liners are set, it is imperative they not be disturbed. Bumping
the engine over with the head removed and lifting a liner off it's seat
is a big no-no. It might not seal again.

Up until this year, I was even using stock head studs torqued to stock
spec with no trouble. I finally got a set of ARP studs, big difference!

Finally, run the car a few sessions. If your oil filler cap is getting
milkier instead of cleaner, you do have some water entering the oil. I
am a believer in radiator stop leak. My cooling system is oversized so I
am not worried about plugging things, and race motors get torn down
often enough that everything gets flushed. Stop Leak solves little
problems at the track, but will not overcome improper build issues.

Good luck!