fot

Re: [Fot] brake bias / balance

To: <mikee@ragtops.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] brake bias / balance
From: "David Talbott" <dtalbott@archrepro.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 07:37:21 -0700
Mike

Not sure about a street car, but on a race car the seat of the pants approach
usually works pretty well by gradually working the bias to the rear and
sensing the response.  On the other hand, if you're having a hard time feeling
much difference you can crank it all the way aft and go find a corner where it
is safe to do a turn-in spin.  The stability problem usually is more
pronounced on corners where you carry your braking into the turn-in, and/or
when the corner entry is downhill - hence accentuating pitch and further
unloading the rear.

The object is usually to get as much help from the rears as possible, but not
so much that the car tries to swap ends on the kinds of corners where your
braking is not all in a straight line.  Over time you can usually get
comfortable with the squirreliness of more rear bias, and remember that with
rear drum brakes, in the course of a race they will often loose more
effectiveness than the fronts, so they can handle more rear bias without
impacting stability.

On the scientific side, I've seen people with gauges to define the pressures,
and they are probably very useful to be in the ballpark when you roll off of
the trailer.  I'm more inclined to think that the proof is in the pudding, and
especially if there are other changes occurring (such as chassis adjustments),
notwithstanding what the gauges say you've got to fine-tune it on track for
the day and the driver.

Dave

David Talbott, President
Architectural Reproductions, Inc.