fot

Re: [Fot] Watkins Glen 2008 Zippo GP....East Coast Kastner

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Watkins Glen 2008 Zippo GP....East Coast Kastner
From: mark eginton <dobrosailor@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 09:11:17 -0700 (PDT)
Having cut my teeth on Northern California Tracks and a few Colorado tracks I
finally did Watkins Glen 3 weeks ago for the first time. For those that have
Watkins "on their list" KEEP IT THERE!!!!

  It is extremely exciting and fun - technically challenging, in a high speed
way, with the best esses I have ever experienced. With up-hill traction - floor
it just before the second apex and drift through the third onto the back
straight flat-out WAHOOOOO!!! My Vintage Mustang hit the rev limiter half way
down the both straights with 350s ratio rear end (no overdrive) so gear tall.
My car never saw second gear after the pits although I redline is set to 6k to
favor a stock crank.

  That's the bad news; I heard from a sprite racer in the pits that some
smaller car drivers like tighter tracks better. The setting is fabulous, the
track is in relatively good condition and run as a first class operation. There
are some cement repairs that get your attention if you are on the edge but its
easy to see where the line is...

  I live in Ithaca 20 minutes away and would love to see you all come out here,
feel free to contact me if you want information on the area.

  BTW, I got my TR3 out in the upstate spring and am loving life - great
touring here and lots to see.

  Thanks so much to all that assisted me in my quest to breath life back into
the old girl. I picked my 75 yr old mother up at the airport in it with the
gasket sealer still drying. She bought it 2 yrs old in '59 and got more 1st
place trophys racing "powder puff" than my dad did back in the day. Always a
point of contention...

  Thanks again,

  Mark