fot

Re: [Fot] Scatter Shields

To: Cofrog@aol.com, FOT@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Scatter Shields
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 18:28:41 +0000
From: Cofrog@aol.com

> Earlier this year RMVR had an incident with a flywheel exploding on an MGB.
> I had given thought to this danger but had kind of dismissed it. In looking
> over the archives, there was some activity regarding scatter shields in 2000
> but it seems to have dead ended.
>
> What are you folks using for scatter shields and their source. I see Uncle
> Jack has (had) a metal "U" shaped shield that fits around the transmission
> cover inside the car. Others feel that the shield needs to wrap around the
> whole bell housing. Thoughts?

I was behind a TR2 whose clutch exploded. The flying shrapnel and debris was
everywhere, and the driver had some serious injuries (no scattershield). The
complaint that some have about wrapping the tranny is that it holds heat, and
we know that's not good. My solution was to use Uncle Jack's scattershield
along with a kevlar blanket that does not fully wrap the tranny, just the 180
degrees closest to my leg and foot. Fortunately, I have never had to test its
effectiveness.
Irv Korey