fot

Re: [Fot] gearbox legality

To: "Young Randall" <RYoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] gearbox legality
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:45:27 -0400
Toyota gearboxes are as common as belly buttons, and most have
minimal wear on them. The Japanese have interesting licensing and
inspection laws that ensure the domestic cars turn over frequently.
The drivetrains are frequently exported to the US. It would be
unusual to rebuild one--you can get a replacement for next to
nothing. I paid a hundred bucks for two from 2TG toyotas--of course
that was four years ago. I pulled them apart to check the typical
wear areas and they were indistinguishable from new.

FWIW, I never used them. They're in my storeroom waiting for me to
build something that could use them.