fot

Re: [Fot] update on my stolen TR5 race car

To: "Chuck Arnold" <triosan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] update on my stolen TR5 race car
From: Greg "Lunker" Hilyer <lunkercars@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 09:37:40 -0600
Chuck,
I'm still holding a candle of hope that your car will be recovered.
Having lived many years in your area, I've got a couple ideas that
may be worth pursuing.
First is that South Seattle Auto Auction [Kent] and Puget Sound Auto
Auction [Auburn] are both near where the trailer was found - in the
years that I managed SSAA, we would occasionally find a stolen
vehicle gathering dust in the dealer parking area. Police theory was
that it was a inconspicuous area for auto activity to blend in. Also,
if someone was trying to get the car transported somewhere, this is
where many trucking companies stage their loads. Might be worth a
drive by these places.
Second would be to contact Cosmopolitan Motors [Seattle] and Park
Place Motors [Bellevue]. Although neither would knowingly buy a
stolen car, they do both occasionally deal with vintage race cars and
so wouldn't be put off by a car without a title. If the car [or
parts] are being offered around for sale, they [Cosmopolitan most
likely] would probably have heard of it. Another to check with would
be the British/German/Italian dismantler on Aurora Ave - Can't
remember the name but do remember that they would buy most anything.
As for the car being shipped out of the country, I would doubt it...
Technically impossible without a title and too long a paper trail for
thieves to deal with. If you want to cover all the bases, contact
Broadway Title [www.broadwaytitle.com]. They are the largest provider
of "alternate titles" around. If someone wanted to get a title to
sell the car, it would likely go thru them. Make sure they [and the
police report] get any #s you have [engine, body, commission, etc].
one number in the reporting may not be enough since there is always
confusion as to what #s to use.
Hope this may be of some help.
Greg Hilyer
TR4 #314