fot

Re: [Fot] Moss Customer Service

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Moss Customer Service
From: Greg "Lunker" Hilyer <Lunkercars@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:16:27 -0600
Guess I should [again] pipe up. Last Thursday, I spent almost an hour
on the phone with Blain from Moss tech. He was knowledgeable, helpful
and full of information. My call was regarding my thrust bearing
problems. Although they hadn't had any other reports of problems, he
did note mine and in the end agreed that my [partial] failure could
well have been a less than satisfactory piece. Also, he couldn't tell
me where exactly my part may have been made. Big warning flag to me.
The most important part  of the conversation however, might be
concerning the feedback they get. I [and Blain] basically agree with
Steven Priess's statement "When you think about it, most restoration
projects see little actual use. Most projects seemingly never even
get completed!". 90% of the parts I buy from Moss and others go on
cars that I sell and most of them won't see a thousand miles a year -
not much of a test bed. It is perhaps unfortunate that Blain only
chuckled when I told him of my "Moss shelf" but it's true... I've got
a shelf [sacrifices to the god of speed for those that have seen The
Worlds Fastest Indian] of nearly $1000 of broken Moss parts -
everything from a grenaded pressure pressure plate to a trans mount
that lasted 1 session to carb o-rings that won't withstand modern
fuels and now to a thrust washer that could've cost me an engine. My
point is not to dis' their parts, but to say that I never told them
about any of these failures because I was RACING and knew they
wouldn't guarantee their parts for such use. In hindsight I realize
that I should have at least reported my problems. Maybe we all
should. We racers may be the only ones testing what they sell and
they can't fix what they don't know about.
I know this has little to do with Geoff's original question as to why
he couldn't get a response, but we could probably "improve the breed"
thru better communication with our suppliers.
On the other hand, my next order of "critical" parts will be coming
from BPNW.
Greg "Lunker" Hilyer
TR4 #314
Albuquerque NM