fot

Re: [Fot] EBC Turbo Groove Brake Rotors

To: GSFuqua1@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] EBC Turbo Groove Brake Rotors
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:26:56 -1000
I assume they don't recommend them for racing because most sanctioning
bodies will ding you for them. I have a set on Peyote and several
times they were mentioned in tech though I was never excluded and no
one put a "fix" mention in my log book. Of course I was traveling from
track to track--if I was racing with just one group I suspect I would
have had to change them.

If there is an advantage to them I sure can't feel it. The only reason
they are on Peyote is that they were available when my rotor broke up--
I think it was at VIR or perhaps Elkheart. I think the way to get good
braking on a TR is to use good pads and break them in properly, then
make sure they aren't getting tapered as you use them. I use Kas'
method of grinding them flat in a drill press using a flat cup stone.

Follow the manufacturers suggestions for break in, which usually is to
brake progressively harder several times, allowing cool off time
between applications of the bakes, then let everything cool off and
offgas before racing on the things. I tend to break in pads, then pull
them, look for even wear on the pads, then put them back in the box as
ready spares. I have about ten sets of pads that I've done this to. A
good exercise on track days.

I spend all my time on track days playing with tires and brakes. rears
too.

On Apr 25, 2008, at 8:00 AM, GSFuqua1@aol.com wrote:

> No, but I would sure be interested in the answers as I have
> considered this
> myself on my 63 TR 4.  Sure don't understand the comment about not
> using  them
> for racing.  I thought that was more or less what they were made  for.
>
> Comments????  Interested minds want to know.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gary
>

> **************Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S.
> used car