fot

Re: [Fot] Body Adjustment

To: "'Steven Preiss'" <spreiss@verizon.net>, "'Richard Taylor'"
Subject: Re: [Fot] Body Adjustment
From: "Norlin Engineering" <norlinengineering@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:41:03 -0700
None of this may apply to the TR4, but when I first got the Spitfire I am
currently racing, the door gaps were between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 inches at the
top.  This was the result of a previous owner cutting the meager rear body
supports over the rear axle to allow the roll cage to be welded directly to
the frame, adding a fuel cell and big Diehard battery to the trunk floor and
then driving over the curbs and off course a lot.  During the ground up
rebuild, I mounted the body on the frame, cut off the outer rocker panels,
pulled the front and rear cowl's together with ratchet straps and 2x4's and
then welded on the new rockers.  I also added some small, adjustable body
mounts between the rear trunk floor (what's left of it) and the new fuel
cell/battery subframe that is bolted directly to the frame.  This spring, I
actually had to adjust the door pins closer together. I think the gap is
actually shrinking a bit.

Jim