fot

[Fot] "Triotas" (or "Toyumphs")

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] "Triotas" (or "Toyumphs")
From: Guyots3@wmconnect.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:36:53 EDT
In a message dated 6/19/2008 11:00:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
fot-request@autox.team.net writes:

> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:25:09 +1100
> From: "Steven Preiss" <spreiss@verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: [Fot] Top hats
> To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
> Cc: fot@autox.team.net
>
> My thought, precisely. However, would this conversion make the car
> ineligible for racing under most vintage club rules?
> By the time all the inadequate components are swapped out, we might be
> compelled to rebadge our cars "Triotas" (or "Toyumphs").
> Steve P.

An interesting point.

It came to my attention that when Toyota went into the South African market,
they took over the old Standard-Triumph International factory at Durban, and
most probably other ex-Triumph factories in different Triumph markets around
the world also.

I heard that Toyota took care to preserve much of the historic documentation,
and engineering papers that they found there, something I doubt would have
happened if it had been the other way around.

The Japanese were always keen to copy, learn and improve on Western designs,
eventually taking over the business.

Maybe there is more of our Triumphs in modern Toyotas than we realise?

I know it's a Mazda, but you only have to look at the Miata.

Regards

Lion

   </HTML>