fot

Re: [Fot] More brake dust on left front

To: "Steven Belfer" <colordog.1@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: [Fot] More brake dust on left front
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:07:43 -0500
I checked my notes from the race at Grattan and Gingerman last year to see
what we had for front disc temperatures when we came off the track.  I
happened to be in the right place at the right time and acquired an infrared
temperature sensor "gun".  At Grattan the RF was about 50 degrees higher
than the LF (400 vs 350) and at Gingerman they were about even (LF 385  RF
380).  Keep in mind that we are just getting started and this is with
"rookie" drivers and a car with a 5500 to 6000 RPM redline and "stock"
bottom end.  FWIW

The infrared sensor is a handy diagnostic tool to see if things are going
bad, especially if you have some baseline or "normal" readings.  We've been
taking about 10 readings when the car comes off the track.  May drop some of
the readings and add others, like front of the block versus rear to see if
we're overheating on #4.

Tim