fot

Re: [Fot] Tow vehicle help -Land Rover

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Tow vehicle help -Land Rover
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 08:28:41 -0700
fubog1@aol.com wrote:
> A good friend of mine tells the story of when he was in the British
> Army, they would go out on maneuvers with 100 Land Rovers... and one
> of them would be full of spare axle shafts for them...
> Glen with 3 broken axles in 29 years

Series Land Rover axles are not supposed to be shear pins.  The 10
spline axles worked fine for the lighter weight late Series I that they
were developed for, but are marginal for the heavier Series II and
Series III vehicles.  I think it was more a story of the factory being
perpetually short on development money and a make due attitude.

Land Rover used stronger stronger ENV axle assemblies on their heavier
duty, one ton versions and finally converted to the Salisbury on the
long wheelbase Land Rovers with the introduction of the Series III in
the early 1970's.  The Salisbury is a Dana 60 built in the UK under
license.  The one ton versions and long wheelbase Series III's very
seldom broke axles and they had the same basic drive train that the
"shear pin" 10 spline axles were used with.

I never realized that there were so many Series Land Rover owners on the
FOT list.

Teriann with 7 broken rear axles in 19 years of 109 ownership, followed
by zero broken axles in the subsequent 11 years after replacing the Land
Rover 10 spline rear axle with a Land Rover Salisbury rear axle.