fot

Re: [Fot] Tow vehicle help -Land Rover

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Tow vehicle help -Land Rover
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:58:40 -0700
Jerry Barr wrote:
> I never broke an axle on my Series III and I have done some crazy
> stuff with it. TeriAnn I know you are the FOT authority on landrovers
> so how strong is the overdrive on the series III? Is it up to towing
> with a slightly stronger 2,25 Rover engine?
The Roverdrive from Wise Owl is made using existing North American
automotive gears as much as possible and is considered to be a strong
unit.  The Fairy overdrive is not all that strong.  Both are heat
sensitive, the Fairy having its own oil is more so than the Roverdrive.
Key to longevity is to keep the 90wt topped up and change the Fairy's
oil frequently.

You realize of course that the 2.25L petrol engine with 8:1 head is
optimistically rated at 70hp?  You would be much better off swapping in
a 200tdi engine.  Its the simplest of the tdi swaps & nets you about 45
additional hp plus greater fuel mileage.

A stock engined Series Land Rover would not be in consideration for my
list of tow vehicles.  Of course my Series Land Rover is powered by a
Ford 302 with Mustang EFI so I could consider it with an aluminum trailer.

Teriann