fot

[Fot] SVRA allows 5 speed transmission conversion!

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] SVRA allows 5 speed transmission conversion!
From: Bobby Whitehead <igofaster@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 9:57:31 -0800
Some of ya'll (I'm Texan) recall the trials and tribulations of my sweet Bob
Davis GT6 with a T50 5 speed gearbox.
CVAR has not allowed the 5 speed conversion...   I just ran out of the
library.. with my March 2009 Grassroots Motorsports Magazine. Our fellow FoT'er
Tim Suddard and his race prepared TR3 have apparently been allowed to make the
transmission swap to a Borg Warner T5 five speed conversion. Apparently SVRA
stated that  "any car that came with five forward speeds, like our over-drive
equipped Triumphs-can make the transmission swap". Maybe this is a new rule,
apparently it is. Not that I don't mind playing by the rules... I'm on my 4th
transmission job...$3000.00 plus dollars and DNF's 50% of the last 6 events...
I'm on the newest Triumph transmission from Quantumechanics... a custom GT6
transmission with TR7 gears and a J type overdrive.. modifications to the frame
to TRY to make it work.. AGAIN.....
Needless to say, I'm going after CVAR, ONCE AGAIN, to see if there may be a
chance I can put the T50 back in the car.. I could have sold the T50 for
several thousand dollars with the drive shaft, conversion, and mod's to the
car... but I haven't... hoping I can find a spot for it.
Frankly, I'm upset... seems if a national captioning vintage race group allows
the 5 speed conversion, other groups should come around and acknowledge the
swap.
thanks Tim Suddard for the article, maybe we can move forward to reliable
racing.
I quote Tim's article " it's more fun to run reliable at the back of the
group-or not at all."  I've said it before, I don't care if I start last and
finish last, I just wanna race... after all... it's an $8.00 trophy at the end
of the season.

Bobby Whitehead
#53 CVAR Triumph GT6+ Group II