fot

Re: [Fot] SVRA allows 5 speed transmission conversion!

To: Bobby Whitehead <igofaster@charter.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] SVRA allows 5 speed transmission conversion!
From: Mike Jackson <grandwazoo@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:43:32 -0500 (EST)
Speaking as the Race Director of one of those "national captioning vintage race
groups", whatever that means, you need to understand and appreciate that every
organization sets its own policies on car elegibility and preparation.  There
is no equivalent of SCCA in vintage racing.  There is an umbrella organization,
the Vintage Motorsports Coucil, but it is not a rules preparing body.  It is a
forum for conversation among the member organizations.  All of those you listed
are members of VMC.  Certainly the issues of car mods and preparation rules
have been discussed frequently but long ago all agreed that they weren't likely
to give up their freedom to establish their own rules.  Heck, most all even
have their own terminology for class/group designations and years of
elegibility in each of them.

So, the result is differences all over the country, in most all classes for a
variety of reasons.  Some very simply make financial decisions to get more
entrants by allowing more non-period mods.  Others try to hold the line to only
that which was available back in the time of the car's first use in club
racing.  And everything in between.

And then come magazines that seek to have a nationwide audience.  There is
certainly no claim that anything shown in articles or advertisements is assured
to be acceptable by any one driver's local organization.  One needs to find out
what the sanctioning body(or bodies) they are going to race with will accept.

Interestingly enough, my TR3 still has a Triumph gearbox and it holds up for
4-5 years before a truly major rebuild.  I can give you the name of my
engine/gearbox builder.

Also interestingly enough, my other race car is a Formula Vee and CVAR has some
rules that are more liberal than many other organization.

Mike Jackson
Race Director - VDCA