fot

Re: [Fot] SVRA allows 5 speed transmission conversion!

To: Bobby Whitehead <igofaster@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] SVRA allows 5 speed transmission conversion!
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 08:12:28 -1000
I certainly favor it, though I've managed to have a reasonably
reliable TR4-based box using quaife dog-engagement straight cut gears.
But that's an expensive proposition and the reliability suffers when
you get above 130 HP. The standard gearboxes are marginally reliable
in street cars. The overdrives are a bad joke, but they clearly give
racers a lot of ratios to play with. Hard to see any regulatory reason
for saddling us with these fragile, expensive and increasingly rare
trannys. I have a big stock of them and might never switch over, but I
think the sport benefits from reliability.

\