fot

Re: [Fot] What did you do?

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] What did you do?
From: "David W. Riddle" <dave@microworks.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:39:09 -0700
My oldest Daughter is soon to be 19 (in March) and when she got her
learners permit back when she was 15.5 we of course did all the
"normal" stuff in the neighborhood, city streets and parking practice
in big empty parking lots.

But one of the more enjoyable outings was to take a run on the
Freeway to a small town outside the metro area to let her get the car
up to speed and play with feeling what higher speed felt like.  The
small town I picked to drive out to had a good diner that I had been
to quite a few times in the past that we hit for lunch.  Got to spend
some good time in the car with her and she got to drive in a bunch of
different environments (open freeway, in-city freeway, surface
streets, small town, etc...)

When she turned 17 I had her go through the High Performance Driving
class that I teach for NASA.  She loved it and did the class one
other time before she moved out of state to go to school up in Oregon.

My middle daughter is getting her permit this week so I'm back in
that same boat with you.  The soon to be 17 year old son is a
different story.  He started racing karts when he was 9 so driving is
no big deal to him.