fot

Re: [Fot] What did you do?

To: alfetta95@optonline.net, FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] What did you do?
From: jimdonick <whimsey1@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 19:26:27 -0500 (EST)
Todd:
    I don't normally get involved in these discussions but this one is
important.   The responses I've read so far to your question offer some
thoughtful advice.   I raised two drivers, a son and a daughter.  The son
wanted to be a racing driver. . . he learned the basics of driving well but,
like all young (and older?) males he needed self control.  His high school car
was an MG Midget it tought him control at speeds that were relatively low,
rather like his old man learning that in a TR3 back in high school, himself.
(It may be small and dangerous but the biggest risk our kids run in the car is
too many of their friends in there with 'em) I promised him a trip to the Skip
Barber School if he survived one year with no accidents that were his fault and
no tickets.  He won that prize.  He's now a vehicle dynamics engineer at
Toyota, a regional SCCA champ, and a thoughtful parent. We ran the 25 hours of
Thunderhill together a year ago.  He was faster than I was.
     His sister had no interest in driving as anything but a means to become
mobile.  The manual gearbox in the MG just wasn't fair as her friends didn't
have to deal with that sort of thing.  She had an early accident in the Ford
Exploder.  No serious injuries... Her motivations were very very different.
She's now (years later) a perfectly competent driver and will soon be a mom.
She is NOW interested in cars and much prefers a manual gearbox. (and is
lusting after an XK-120)
     Why the stories?  Well, the story of my son illustrates the value of
motivation.  The kids either have it or they don't. He did. We can't create it
for them.   The story of my daughter illustrates the same thing but with the
promise that these things sometimes change.  Most importantly, though, you have
to build the syllabus to the student.
     Sending a kid to car control school is only of value if the kid is
interested.  Racing (high performance anyway) school only means something if
the kid has enough knowledge already to put what they learn into perspective.
Otherwise they don't know enough to understand what they are learning.
     Give her time.  Listen carefully to her to understand why she wants to
drive and what her interests are.  Then build your plan around that and around
the other realities of your lives together.   The fact that you are asking the
questions is good enough evidence that you'll likely do the right thing.
     Good luck with it.

kind regards,
jimdonick