fot

Re: [Fot] FIA blinks first

To: RACER BUD <budscars@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] FIA blinks first
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:10:52 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, RACER BUD wrote:

> FI...i have no interest in it anymore..........NASCAR knows how to treat
> their fans.....I spent fri-sun at Infineon selling beer to raise money for
> charity....Everything about NASCAR is about the fans...

Ummm, not to be too contrary - I think NASCAR is all about the money.

They will not stop until V8's are banned and they've pushed all the
"clubs" out of the tracks. In a way, a lot like the Walmart phenomenon.

Case in point - NHMS is now owned by Brunton (or one of those guys) and
they've closed the road course (which sucked anyway, but that's not the
point). 70% of the track activity is club racing and track days. But 90%
of the money comes from NASCAR. Sounds simple on the surface, but the
concessions that NASCAR gets to run there is absolute murder on the local
clubs - for example NASCAR gets unmuffled for any dates they have, all the
other clubs get 100 dba noise. They're talking about making a road course,
but as of right now, it's all talk. No action at all (other than closing
parts of the track for now and permanently in the future. Note that what
they are closing is/was home to one of the oldest racing facilities in the
country (formerly Briar Motorsports Park). G-O-N-E.

Try to build a track in east overshoe, nowhere. Unless there's a serous
employment deficit, the locals ask first "will NASCAR be using the track"?

That question completely halted negotiations on more than one occasion
with my local SCCA region who was/is) trying to purchase land and build a
club track.

Money is the only thing that NASCAR is about. And they will act like a
good neighbor 'till they can kick you out. And they have really good
lawyers. The down-home thing is a sham.

> Racer Bud..

Have a nice day!
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489