fot

[Fot] Monterey Historics Announcement

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Monterey Historics Announcement
From: "Gary Horstkorta" <vintage.racer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 07:49:11 -0700
Hello:

To those of you who have experienced the Monterey Historics event, it's car
heaven for vintage racers and enthusiasts.  For the past thirty-six years,
the event has been organized and run by Steve Earle.   The big buzz at this
year's event was SCRAMP (the group that oversees Laguna Seca since it's a
county park) decided not to renew the contract with Earle.  Lots of rumors
running around the paddock about who would run the event and how it might
change.  Last night I received the following press release from the track
that partially answered the question, see below.

Other news is apparently a group headed by Bobby Rahal are formulating plans
for a five race series for newer cars (TransAm, IMSA, FIA sports racers,
Group C, etc) that will be spectator events, with points and trophies
awarded in each class.  The character of the events will possibly be similar
to the Goodwood Revival.  Rahal was at Laguna Seca for a meeting with track
officials it looks like Laguna will be part of this series.  No doubt we'll
be hearing more about this in the coming months.

Gary

MONTEREY, Calif. (August 16, 2009) -  The Sports Car Racing Association of
the Monterey Peninsula (SCRAMP) announced that it will be producing the
historic races at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in 2010, and that General
Racing, Ltd., the creator and producer of the Rolex Monterey Historic
Automobile RacesR for the last 36 years, will no longer be producing the
event.

SCRAMP will produce an event that reflects the prestige, integrity and
quality that fans and participants expect of the vintage automobile races
held at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. SCRAMP has contracted for the use of the
trademark Monterey Historic Automobile RacesR for 2010 and General Racing
will assist SCRAMP for this transitional year.

"This has certainly been a long and rewarding relationship with Steve Earle
and General Racing," said Gill Campbell, CEO/general manager for Mazda
Raceway Laguna Seca. "SCRAMP has always admired Mr. Earle's creation, which
has brought historic car racing to the enthusiast on such a level. We look
forward to our 2010 event, scheduled from August 13-15, and beyond with the
mission of continuing the tradition of historic automobile racing here while
enhancing the enjoyment factor for the fans, participants and sponsors."

SCRAMP has operated Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, the site of the Monterey
Historic Automobile Races, for more than 50 years and, as a not-for-profit
organization, has donated more than $12 million to the communities in and
around the Monterey Peninsula.

"SCRAMP is proud to continue the legacy General Racing began," Campbell
added, "And we are excited about the prospect of opening a new chapter in
historic racing at America's premier road racing circuit."

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca was established in 1957. The world-renowned
raceway has been operated since its inception by the Sports Car Racing
Association of the Monterey Peninsula (SCRAMP), a not-for-profit 501C(4)
corporation. Each race season, SCRAMP donates its net proceeds to the
volunteer groups that help put on the races.